Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Forgotten Art of Breaking

I have really been looking forward to this week’s reading, as b-boying is simultaneously the area of hip-hop I know the least about and the most intriguing. And while the Schloss reading was not particularly poignant or revealing about b-boying as a whole, it was easily one of the most enjoyable books I’ve read so far in the class, ranking up at the top alongside Toure.
My favorite chapter in the book was the chapter on battling. To me, when I think about b-boying I automatically think about the battles. And while I have never seen a battle in real life (I have seen several solo performances, including one in New Orleans that was absolutely fantastic) I have seen several of those cheesy break dancing movies. And that obviously makes me an expert! Schloss went into deep detail regarding the mindset of b-boys as they prepare for and compete in a battle. Particularly the section where he discusses the strategies involved in battles, as a lot of it can be related to any other strategic endeavor.
Schloss also gave some insight into why b-boying isn’t as popular today as it used to be, which was welcome and something I haven’t seen in readings before. Among other things, he mentions that as rap has become more mainstream the tempo has also slowed down. As this happened b-boying became less and less interesting, as the best breaks are fast and demand the most out of the dancer. Because of this b-boys eventually stopped dancing to new songs, focusing solely on the older music that was more fitting to the spirit of b-boying. Schloss said that this was the reason that we see comparatively little breaking in modern hip-hop, as the art has been left behind. Which is a shame, as to me there is very little more enjoyable than watching a talented b-boy dance to a solid beat. I enjoy rapping or listening to a good deejay as much as the next person, but there is something particularly fun about watching a dance.

3 comments:

  1. I was intrigued by Schloss's insight regarding the fall of b-boying. Personally, I would rather have the older style of hip hop music over what is being produced now, if it would bring b-boying back. Of course, that can not happen as rap has been commodified to the point where there is really no turning back. Too many people would have to much to lose and, so far, no artist is willing to make the social sacrifice to bring hip hop back to its roots. One can still hope though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so interesting that b-boying came into being as a style of dance due to the breaks, which were the most exciting, upbeat part of a record... and now, hip-hop music has slowed down in order to let the rapper's words take precedence over the music. Clearly, the focus has shifted from dancing (the experience) to listening (the product). Where have all the good breaks gone???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! The chapter on battling was very enjoyable. It was funny to hear how serious these guys took their art. The lengths they went through to keep their moves secret, the spies, the strategies they employed during the battles (NO SQUATTING) all gave me an almost Cold War feel between the b-boy groups. Utterly fascinating indeed.

    ReplyDelete